Eve Online

This is now my mmo of choice

Goto page 1, 2  Next
WoW - got burnt out.

Warhammer - too many problems put me off this game - no way I'm going to change servers AGAIN.

Darkfall = Epic Fail

So, I used to play this game and it was great so I decided to re-up.

Anyone else playing? My char is called Koralyne.

psychoticneurotic.com
Never played. What's it about?
I think you're going to be Tiquor's new best friend!

Best game ever. I'm in a corp with a decently sized alliance. Look up Tiquor, Inficant.

Woograze wrote:
Never played. What's it about?

Hmm...where to start?

Sci-fi/space setting, you fly around the galaxy in any number of customizable ships. Combat/mining/transport, little frigates to huge battle cruisers. You can have as many ships as you want, all fitted for different purposes. Most ship upgrades are reversible - you can "repackage" a used part and use it again or sell it.

Only one realm that all players are in (they don't have different servers).

The game has PvP (lots), PvE and a very extensive harvesting (mining)/manufacturing system.

Guilds exist in the form of "corporations" and "alliances". Corporations can own their own space stations (pretty equivalent to player built cities in other games) where you can gain access to corporation services.

Economy is entirely player driven. There are regional marketplaces where you can buy and sell anything. Contracts between players/corporations can be created which can contain anything - both parties must indicate the deal is complete for the goods/money/services to be exchanged.

You can loot/salvage any destroyed player - both PCs and NPCs. Almost everything you loot/salvage has value to someone somewhere in the game.

Missions/quests play a smaller part in the game than other mmo's - you don't need to do any missions if you don't want to. Character progressions/skills are not related to missions.

You learn skills in "real time", once you meet the prerequisites for the skill you can learn it. Each skill has different levels, each of which takes a specific amount of time to learn, with each progressive level taking longer. Skill learning continues even when you're not in game (but you can only learn one skill at a time and can't queue them).

These are just a few of the features - I've just scratched the surface. The game is huge and gameplay is limitless - there are no "level caps", your character just gets more bad ass as you learn more skills.

<WARNING> It is addictive and can be a timesink! </WARNING>

psychoticneurotic.com
I describe Eve this way:

The most hardcore friendly casual game ever.
or
The most casual friendly hardcore game ever.
or
Eve can be alot of preperation and "downtime" punctuated by the most thrilling and meaningful PvP ever.

The game is awesome if you like to spend alot of time getting to know your guild and gelling as a group. You'll spend alot of time moving around space, mining, mission running if you want, trading, etc. All things that aren't "OMFG" exciting exactly. If you get into a PvP corp though all of that is preperation for what is the single most exciting PvP environment in gaming. You can literally prepare for a week of your gametime for combat that lasts an hour of nailbiting edge of your seat, shit your pants, PvP.

Eve can be very casual also, you can run missions and have fun in relative safety and PvP at your own discretion. Some players live in "lawless" space where PvP is a constant reality, unpredictable, and meaninfgul. There is no instant rez. If you lose your ship you have to buy another one and refit it. If you don't have the items handy you have to repurchase them and this can take a few hours. So when you kill that guy in PvP he is out of the fight for a while or will come back in a smaller ship unless he's got alot of cash and extra ships laying around. His extra ships may be 10 jumps away though so he's still out 45 minutes of travel time. The fact is that logistics matter in this game if yuo PvP. They matter *alot*.

On the upside, Eve is probably one the most comprehensive games avaiable as far as your options for play style. On the downside, the fact is though it has a steep learning curve. The mission running or solo and small group comabt play can be a bit boring. I tend to call it "cerebral" when I want to put lipstick on the pig. The game in the casual sense needs vent and the ability to talk and shoot the shit, listen to music, or whatever while you prepare for the more exciting areas of play. So it's not for everyone.

The next update is offering some awesome new high level content, and the leveling system is awesome since you can raise your skills when your not even in-game. the next version will allow skill queuing which will make the eaerly game much more pleasurable and quicker to get into the action.

Anyway, I know that's a scattered review. The game has to be given a week or 2 of play to get a feel for then you'll know if it's for you or not. I suggest doing a 15 day trial, then if you like it, start a new trial for your *real* character after you've figured out the basics and know more about what you want to do.

-Stephen

hrm, this does sound pretty nice and fun ... bastards =)

we'll see how my work schedule plays out in the next week or two and then I'll see about jumping onboard.
Let me know if/when you want to give it a try and I can hook you up with a 21-day trial - and if you end up subscribing I get 30-days free!

psychoticneurotic.com
i use to play EvE, it's a fun and boring game at the same time. i would play but WAR's 1.2 patch has me pretty overwhelmed...can't get enough. I am losing precious sleep.....
I'm curious about the game because a lot of people seem to like it. The space theme is cool and I like the corporation idea and the mining/trading. I'm not wild about the steep learning curve, and I'm really not wild about losing ships, items, etc. permanently.

Yea, Yuber, eve is an awesome game/concept. By far one of the best and most realistic for a space game. Although you can lose your ship and equipment on board you can also insure your self so once you do get blown up you have a nice check waiting for you to go out and buy new stuff. And it really isnt like most mmo's where it took you 9 hours to drop a boss to have only 2 items drop for 150 people. Items are available. Only time thing is the time to travel to get them, unless you escrow them.... When i am normally playing 2 MMO's, EVE, is the one i am usually subscribed to......

Here is the link to the 14 day trial...

http://www.eve14daytrial.com/
Yuber wrote:
I'm not wild about the steep learning curve

Lots of people agree and CCP are adressign that with the upcoming expansion (coinciding with a deal with Atari to put boxed versions of the game on shelves):

Rebuilt from the ground up, the new player tutorial reveals the many career paths a player can embark on, while arming them with the knowledge and gear necessary to start carving their niche in New Eden.

More info here: http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=618

The expansion is being released March 10th

psychoticneurotic.com
The new Certificate system and skill queueing will reduce the learning curve. But, it's a 5+ yr. old game so it has had alot of time to grow in functionality. Alot of the learning curve is the open endedness and the sandbox nature of things. You aren't rail roaded down a path, so alot of people sort of get a deer in the headlights sort of effect. The certificate system and skill system will reduce alot of that because they will make recommendations for clusters of skills that work together and are related.

And Kasto makes a good point, at the lower end of the game you can insure your ship for more than you bought it for. This way you just have to fly around and replace the items, but almost all of the lower end items are freely available on the market and you just rebuy them. You don't have to get a raid togther and get them again.

-Stephen

And everything is player crafted as well as dropped off NPC enemys
If I was to decribe my biggest complaint about WoW, it's that I have to spend 6 hours or more per week in a dungeon waiting at random intervals for people to take a piss and eat dinner just for the CHANCE to get an item I need. Or I have to spend hours upon hours upon hours sitting in a BG with people who likely suck just so I can get a comparable item. The player-crafted items is HUGE for me. One of the absolute best things about SWG. So that's a major plus.

The insurance thing is great too. If the PvP is as good as Tiq describes, I don't mind losing stuff if all I have to do is go buy it again. Even if I have to go out of my way. Or spend more money. Another thing that was fun about SWG was that craftsmen had their own stores and shit, so you sometimes had to travel to those rather than going to this centralized location. Is EvE a little like that?

Chat
You must be logged in to chat.
No FB Yes FB Hand (smaller) Lap 40.063em Desk 64.063em Wall 90.063em