General Game Discussion

I'm concerned about DCU Online

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/907/907161p1.html

I'm a huge comic book nerd, and I'm not totally against this one, but I have to say I've got some serious reservations.

1.) SOE. I really hate to keep harping on them all the time, but shit, they took a broken game in SWG and made it even worse. That takes talent. Or whatever the opposite of talent is.

2.) If the game centers around player characters (i.e. not Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, or even Black Lightning), then why are the only screens I've ever seen centered around the famous characters that you can't play? It's cool to see a screenshot of Green Lantern and Sinestro fighting, but that involves me how exactly? Obviously you need to include them, fine, but the way they describe the interaction sounds a lot like the way you "interacted" with Han Solo and Darth Vader. Which is to say that after the initial, "Wow, this is so cool" is over, I don't really picture an iconic badass like Han Solo sitting in the back of a cantina telling people to retrieve a power cell from a crashed freighter on Dantooine as part of his daily routine. Am I gonna get to go to the store for Superman and buy Lois Lane an anniversary gift? Riveting.

3.) Aiming with the right stick? Hmm, sounds suspiciously like NGE combat. You know how lame it was running up to a chuba with a stun baton and clicking it to death? Trust me, it was retarded.

4.) Adapted for consoles. I just don't see it. Can you imagine playing WoW on a console when you have 20 different spells that you may use in a PvP fight, and having to interact with your talent tree and your bags and other characters and all that? I dunno, just don't sound good. I don't see how you keep the same gameplay depth on a console.

Granted, they seem to be pitching this less as an MMORPG and more as an action game with RPG and MMO elements. I don't know how successful that's going to be. I guess we'll see, but I don't really trust IGN. I can't tell you how many times they've talked about an early build of a game like it's the second coming of Zelda only to rip it to shreds when they get the final build.

You're a nut Mike! I didn't hear of this one. Click Click Click.. You didn't enjoy that?!?

Maybe Sam can expand on this? He actually played it at Comicon.
Ohn wrote:
You're a nut Mike! I didn't hear of this one. Click Click Click.. You didn't enjoy that?!?

I was too busy crying to enjoy it, .

I didn't know Sam tried it at Comicon, I'd be very curious to see what he thought. I want the game to be great, but this article scared me a little.

I played it at comic con and talked with one of the developers for the game for about 30 minutes or so.

1) SOE sucks...

2) The reason you see Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc. is because if they showed Jackhole the Wonderfuck in pink tights you would think "Who the fuck is that?". So they show the popular characters. This isn't your typical MMO. You will see heroes and villans all around the city. Ex: You start fighting a group of thugs that decided to rob a store(it isnt a quest, they just rob it down the street and you happen to be in the neighborhood) and in the middle of the fight The Flash comes speeding by and starts to pummel the thugs with you. He thanks you then bids you good day. You then go to a shoot out with the cops and thugs thats a couple blocks down and help them out. Bizzaro Superman comes in and tries to help you and the cops. So he picks up the SWAT truck full of cops and throws it at the thugs. Then he gets into a fight with the cops and then you. It isn't so much that you go and pick flowers for WW or feed Aquaman's fish. You bump into them on the street. You sometimes see them fighting baddies and then come to their aid.

3)Controls...combat...hmmm. Ever play Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction or Spiderman 2? It's real time as in pick up a truck and throw it at the first thing you see. That leads me to this one time I picked up a car and a player character lit it on fire. So I threw the flaming car at Metalo and it exploded and sent him flying. The combat is intense and just like a console game. There were 2 modes of quick transportation through powers. There was flying and super speed. The flying was like in Superman for the xbox 360. You fly around and shoot at things or whatever. Now the super speed was nuts! You can move so fast you can run up anything. Bizarro Superman was flying away so I ran up the nearest building, locked on to him and jumped off the building to knock him to the ground. The game is full of shit like that. When he flew again I froze him in mid air and he came crashing down to the street.

4)There are a lot of combos for the moves. Not up down left right for Ha-duk-en! But you hold down the right trigger and press X or Triangle to do your moves. A different trigger brought up different commands. So it isn't WOW turned console its more Action/RPG turned MMO.

From what I heard from End-Game is that there will be Big name Villians that will have to be taken down to defend the city. Also, PVP will play a big part of it. I went back and played it 3 times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa791GlDBeI

70 Warlock / 70 Rogue
That description sounds better to me. The interaction with the superheroes sounds kinda neat. I actually loved both the Hulk game and the Spiderman games you mentioned, so that's a plus. Jim Lee handling the art direction is awesome as well, he's one of the best comic book artists ever.

I always thought it would be cool if the Star Wars characters would be involved more like the heroes are in this one. Like if there was a big "raid" on Theed, Darth Vader might land sometimes and beat the hell out of people. Or Luke, Han, etc, etc. Maybe DCUO will get it right.

Chat
You must be logged in to chat.
No FB Yes FB Hand (smaller) Lap 40.063em Desk 64.063em Wall 90.063em