General Game Discussion

Star Trek Online Debut Trailer

Looking pretty cool so far. I guess the devs have come out and said that they wanted to show people it's much further along than they may think.

Only the Federation and Klingons are playable, though. I have to admit, that's a little disappointing.

I don't know why this fucker won't embed, so here's the link:

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/20679

No shit. I'd like to be a Cardacian. Happy They make the Klingons look like angry dwarves.

Oh and... Play Eve!

Oooooh! I just wet myself!

psychoticneurotic.com
, I hope you can build space stations. Happy

Maybe form a Makai (sp?) rebellion...

-Stephen

Yeah, I was hoping at least for the Romulans, but the Cardassians would've been a great choice as well. They fleshed them out a lot in DS9. I guess that would give them at least two expansions to center around though, so whatever works!

Still a little stumped by the gameplay. I'm not sure if you're playing a ship or a crewmember. I'm guessing ship, but someone in some comments I was reading was saying you and your friends would crew a ship, but I don't think that makes a lot of sense since everyone would have to be present for anything to actually happen.

Then I saw someone say "lf39m borg cube raid pst" and I liked that idea. :D

Yeah, the Romulans are some evil bastards. You do realize that this game in some ways is reminiscent of the Caribbean located game that shall not be mentioned.... uh oh

Crewing could be done where the larger the crew the more effective, but AI takes over when crew is not available. There are probably ways to do it.

Borg cube raids.. nice. Can I get my own 7 of 9? Cause that's all the Epic Gear I need.

I'm going to be optimistic until they change the name to Pirates of the Alpha Quadrant, .

Don't get me wrong, I'm still very reticent on this one. It's not really encouraging that this thing was announced a few years ago and never showed anything, and then it was announced abruptly that it had been given to Cryptic and almost no work was salvageable. And I never played CoH/CoV, but I understand it was marginal in just about every way. I'm hoping that since I'm a Star Trek nerd that it will kind of be like SWG and that even if it's not that great, I can still have fun with it because of the license.

Found some answers to my questions, BTW. Good stuff here...

Quote:
Will a monthly fee be required to play?
We haven't decided on pricing plans yet.

What races will we be able to play?
The plan is Human, Vulcan, Andorian, Klingon, Orion, Gorn, and several others. You will also be able to create your own race with its own custom look and attributes.

Will everyone be the Captain of their own ship?
Yes, but you will have to earn the responsibility and skill to command larger and more powerful vessels. Remember, in Star Trek as well as naval tradition, whoever commands the ship is the "Captain," even if it is not your current rank.

Will console and PC players be on the same servers?
We would like that to be the case. There is nothing technologically keeping us from making it so.

Will there be PvP, PvE and RP rule set servers?
There will not be separate servers. Open PvP will be restricted to designated sectors of space (far-off reaches of unclaimed territory). Consensual PvP and competitive PvE will occur between the realm borders (the Neutral Zone), where players will be competing over territory and resources with the option to PvP.

Will there be realistic travel times in space?
Travel times will be semi-realistic, with a focus on fun. Space is big, and it can take a very long time to travel great distances. That travel time can be impractically long. We will introduce transwarp conduit technology and worm holes to allow players to travel to distant sectors of the galaxy without needing days or weeks of gameplay to do so.

Still not sure on how the factions will be handled. Humans, Vulcans, and Andorians are historically Federation, Klingons are their own faction, as are Orions and the Gorn. The other interesting thing about this is that it's supposed to take place well after the TNG storyline but all of those races save Klingons were given the most attention during the TOS timeline. They've said they're going to shake things up, so we'll see what's in store down the road.

Chat
You must be logged in to chat.
No FB Yes FB Hand (smaller) Lap 40.063em Desk 64.063em Wall 90.063em