Public Registered Forum

computer problem

so i am putting together my own computer and i have everything plugged in and whatnot, but im running into a problem with my monitor. ive trying plugging it into the motherboard and into my video card, but nothing comes on, it just looks like it is in sleep mode (nothing on screen, but still recieving some sort of signal, as i dont get the notice saying there is no signal). i am new to this kind of stuff, but i have tried everything and cant figure it out.

my motherboard is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131178

and my graphics card is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130318

anyone have any ideas? because im stuck

thanks everyone
My first instinct would be that the card is just bad.

But, just for kicks, remove the card and use the video card on the motherboard. If that works, then you've narrowed down the possibilities. Then put the card back in, but *disable* the onboard video to see if it matters.

-Stephen

so would that mean i need a new graphics card if i pop it out and it works? :\
If you use the onboard graphics and everything is fine, then it definitely points at an issue with your graphics card. The question from there is what that issue is exactly.

Questions:

1. Did you try disabling the onboard graphics card? Then try the 8800?
2. Did you plug the graphics card in? It has an adapter and a spot to give it more juice.
3. Did you make sure you didn't use a power cable marked "Fan Only" when you plugged the graphics card in?
4. When the computer starts up does the fan on the 8800 run?
5. How many watts is your power supply?

Sort of far out questions, that would be rare:

1. Did you ensure that the PCI-E Slot is enabled in the BIOS? I'm not even sure if motherboards can disable the PCI-E slot... but.. worth checking.

Yeah, first instinct is bad graphics card, like Tiquor said. All of his questions are good. I remember you asking about computer parts a few months ago, so more than likely if you used the components people suggested, you're gonna do fine.

I guess there's a side chance that it's your monitor. Obviously if you've been using it for a while, that's not gonna be the problem. If it's new though, try your old system in it and just eliminate that possibility.

Does you monitor have multiple inputs - eg. DVI and Analog? If it does check the input source for the monitor.

psychoticneurotic.com
well, the think is i havent even done anything with BIOS yet, so i havent installed windows or any. i just recently put everything together in the computer and turned it on for the first time last night and the monitor isnt getting any signal from the comp, so i cant see what is going on with the computer if that makes any sense.
The first thing to do is verify whether the onboard graphics works. Then you'll rule out alot of things, and rule in a bunch of other things.

-Stephen

TiquorSJ wrote:
The first thing to do is verify whether the onboard graphics works. Then you'll rule out alot of things, and rule in a bunch of other things.

-Stephen

how would i find out whether or not it is working?
Did you do what I recommended in my first post? Remove the graphics card and plug the monitor into the onboard graphics card. Boot the machine, see if it works.

-Stephen

Chat
You must be logged in to chat.
No FB Yes FB Hand (smaller) Lap 40.063em Desk 64.063em Wall 90.063em