Quest, Instance and Class notes

5 man instance tanking

Ok after 2 solid days of tanking the ramparts, furnace and slave pens I have a few things to point out.

First, we have a shortage of tanks. Plenty of warriors and feral druids out there . Not enough tanks. I'll be glad when Emi gets TBC installed.

In 5 mans more than 3 mobs is simply too much to ask for. In the ramparts and furnace several mobs have a deaggro move. Either a punt or knockback that cuts your aggro in half. Some of the Demons have a 5 sec aggro and then charge and drop all aggro. Some Orcs will enrage and change aggro. These you have to chase down and taunt. Nature of the beast. Most orc casters/warlocks are normal aggro control.

Best stategy without a mage for cc is to let Shaman/warrior/pallly :P or hunter off tank non elites or casters in multiple packs. If a feral druid is present he should go cat and dps. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES BEAR UP and act like an MT unless your the designated MT. Confusion and chaos results in said situations.

Example: MT has agg on 3-4 mobs, 2 are running free. As a feral druid do you do:
A) bear up and grab the runners attacking the healer.
B) Bear up and taunt mobs off the MT.
C) Bear up and taunt mobs the MT is already chasing After
D) listen on vent and grab mobs that the MT requests you do
E) go cat and sprint away

If you selected anything other than D you can expect not to get invited to 5 man groups.

AS an MT your gonna have to multiple tank. on the pull Bloodrage is your friend. Use demoralizing and bshout to help out. Sslam or bash one then sunder it, then target another and taunt , throw some sunders and get aggro. Switch around and try to get 2-3 sunders. Use devistate to hold aggro and renew sunders. Concussion blow is your friend. Use it often, especially on casters. Once multiple mob aggro is established, cleave at will mixed with Hstrikes. Let your dps handle the non elites. They go fast. Your job is too piss off the elite melee and hold em down. Keep your healer alive.

Comments are welcome..
Sounds like you nailed the high points. I'm currently all protect save for the 5 points in cruelty. Over the past few days I've been working my ass off tanking. Could they possibly give the mobs any more abilities to reset my aggro =(

Anyhow, don't forget to hit Shield Block when it's up and GL to the Tanks!

Oh', the 1st boss in Slave Pens, "Steve the betrayer"...can't remember his actual name but it's not steve. Anyhow, keep an eye out for his stonskin totem. It'll save you alof of trouble. =)
I'm not any of the classes listed above but Evis, sorry for tanking
dont be sorry, u shadow guys did awesome the other day.
I just dont want you guys to die. I like seing this nice green heal that keeps coming up. on a 5 mob pull without multiple cc I expect 1-2 to make it past the line. I just like showing off and tanking 3 while you guys hose the loose one.

Trust me I have a new respect for shadow priests in a 5 man instance..

the shields are very nice.
Hunter pets are great tanks imo, we would consistantly trap two mobs, have two tanked by one pet, and me on one. Sometimes me on none, I was basically there to tank the bosses.

The hunters would dps down their targets and I would pick up the trapped ones as mine was killed.

That was one group though, in the couple I ran without hunters it was mostly running around with my head cut off saying gd I can't generate any hate.

Bshot no longer generates hate like it used too. The best solution to solo tank all the mobs it to have them assist you on your pull. Get 3 sunders and whatever revenges you can on it as fast as you can. Demo shout for other mobs. Once you get that mob, switch to a new one and get sundering, try to stay ahead of them. Only break formation to pull off healers.

CCing mobs is always help for the warrior, we ran three instances the other day and almost no one died except on boss fights here and there.
Oh, and fury all the way right now. You need the dps for questing, and while tanking multiple mobs with lots of dps was harder not being protection, it was not impossible, your group just has to help you out a bit more when dpsing.
did I just hear Rolan speak highly of hunters?

uh.. watch out for that pig, might slap you in the face with it's wings
Don't get me wrong, I still hate all classes that can't heal me with equal passion. Just today, I liked that the hunters were making my job a bit easier than normal. So you moved above feral druids and shadow priest for now.
rofl, hunters are pro tanks imo. jahmia knows how to heal. order is, hunter pets, themselves, mages, warrior. woot
thats cause we can hold our own for a while. Except for that gorilla of yours, that sucka has a pelt of iron....
Chat
You must be logged in to chat.
No FB Yes FB Hand (smaller) Lap 40.063em Desk 64.063em Wall 90.063em