Thoughts so far and would like feedback from da' others:

I found that protection is pretty much a must have. Tanking non-protect has gone from bad to “is my taunt button up yet?” With non-crit shadow bolts hitting for 1800 and crit-ing for 2.5K+, heals landing for 6K+, and whatever else people are throwing out that is hitting or healing for a bazillion points, protect has become absolutely necessary (is this a true assumption).

To add to that, while playing the lonesome tank, beating some boss’s head in while your party deals with adds or whatever else is part of the encounter, your ability to actually do damage to said boss, non-protect spec, is about…well, you may as well be kissing him/her.

While leveling up it wasn’t really required but at 70, when everyone starts heating and hitting so much harder…it’s pretty much a given now. Not to mention new instances and heroics. I have yet to tank a heroic but I have a feeling that it's go protect or get out. I tried Black Morass yesterday, that place fucking sucks harder than Arcatraz, which sucks giant donkey balls. the longevity of the fight screams "GO RAID SPEC OR GTFO!!"

Anyhoo…I’m curious to see what changes bring with the next patch for Fury warriors, the rage increase is a MUST for them to be effective in the instances. As much as I love the Fury, the numbers on target I saw in Gruul's Lair were NOT impressive.

Any other observations out there?

Oh and lastly, Evisc, can I put in an order for that Shield Spike and a Fel Iron Helm? No rush on the Helm, I kinda need to put that on Lay-away.
For you Sosso, the helm will be a xmas gift. Expect it in a few days.
As soon as I get exalted with thrallmar, 10.5k to go, ill be making the felsteel spikes.

If you go protect, things u must have:
1) improved shield block
2) improved sunder 1-3 pts ( I have 1)
3) improved revenge 1-2 points ( I have 1)
4) Shield specialization (all 5 pts)
5) DEFIANCE all 3pts
6) Shield Slam

Things that help tremondously
1) improved shield bash (2pts)
2) 1Hand weapon specialization (affects weapon and shield bash/slam)
3) impr taunt
4) toughness (I have 4pt)
5) anticipation ( I have 2pts, lot of items will get you to def rating needed)
6) Focused Rage (3pts here)
7) Shield mastery (3pts, oh this is so nice)
8) impale (nothing says aggro like sslam crit of 1500, HS of 8-900)
9) Improved thunderclap (this will be moved to the absolute must category after next patch)

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warrior/talents.html?151003203020000000000000000000000000000000002125411131020123501351

Anything you can do to lower the cost of your hate abilites. Make some stance switching macro's and program 1,2,3,4,5 for regular tranking abilites.

On multiple mobs:
2-3 mobs is really the most you can rely on to hold aggro on thru direct fire and healing aggro. Even druid tanks have the same limitiations, dont let anyone tell you otherwise. In a 5 man group the dps's cannot be morons. Dps is a group effort and should be focused. Let the tank call the targets and move down the line. Tanks be prepared to intervene your healer (make a quick macro). Talk to your 5 man and explain things to them. Be wary of 4 things from dps that can pull no matter what u do:
1) frostbolt/icelance procs (2-3 in a row)
2) overzealous use of mindflay
3) multiple shadowbolt crits
4) hunters who forget to feign death

Tanks, dont be afraid to tralk to the group about that stuff, work with em. Show em you know whats going on and have them back off a bit during the fight. If you see a beam across your screen for an extended time on a mob remind the dps to take a hate check and chill for a sec...

and finally Devistate works great with a medium fast weapon. The timer is normalized and is independent of weapon speed. If you hit around 150-200 with 5 sunders your doing great.

PS,
BATTLEMASTER enchant for your main tanking weapon is the way to go.
Estimates have it proccing 2 times a mob minimum (25% of all swings) and it creates healing aggro on every person it heals to YOU. Crusader maximus....
Big thank you Evisc. Good idea not dumping the extra points for the Defense. I have heard that tanks come hard up against that 490 cap real quick.

I'll get to changing the spec tonight. I need to get my darned Karazhan Key and Morass is all that stands in my way.
I am at that wall, and with a few upgrades I will be respecing and losing that defence, unless it doesn't get hardcapped.
Chat
You must be logged in to chat.
No FB Yes FB Hand (smaller) Lap 40.063em Desk 64.063em Wall 90.063em